Update from the Girl Herself

The doctor said the surgery was uneventful. I was told it would take two hours. Instead, it took 45 minutes. I was rolled away at 7:20 am, fell asleep before I hit the operating room, and surgery started at 7:45 am. When I woke up, I found a clock and couldn’t quite tell what time it was since my vision was blurry from the drugs (I have LASIK perfect eyes). When I finally could make out the time on the clock, it was 9:00 am. I couldn’t believe it and thought my eyes were deceiving me. I was home by 10:30 am. I didn’t feel ready to get dressed and go home, but I didn’t want to stay at the hospital.
The first day — it was the pain that bothered me most and I could not get in a comfortable position in bed. I felt a constant, dull ache with pressure on the right side of my head. That night, I was able to go in other rooms and do a few things.
Day two… crash. I could not get out of bed. I was having eXtreme Vertigo. As a mom of a three-month-old, I had to continue pumping every few hours. A tough task when I couldn’t sit up. It was bad enough I had to go to my follow up appointment feeling like this. I managed to get in the car and kept a dark cover over my eyes. Sat still the whole way there. Thankfully, I got a wheelchair and sat there the whole time frozen in position. Paul did the talking and thankfully, I wrote my questions on paper before the surgery.
The incision was the least of my problems after the first day. It was mostly numb and the neck pain was more like a swollen gland. My throat didn’t hurt, but I was coughing a little after the surgery because it was so dry. I freaked when I learned about the breathing tube, but they promised it would be in and out while I am out, which is what happened. Since I had nothing to eat or drink since the night before, I had built a big thirst. The nurse didn’t want me to drink anything too soon after surgery to avoid nausea.
I was extremely thirsty for two days after the surgery. I lived on cold stuff… popcicles, sodas, etc. I had a bite of food here and there. Today is the first time I felt hungry. Tuesday and Wednesday – spent the whole day in bed either asleep or had my eyes closed to avoid a dizzy spell. Getting up to go to the restroom was hell. Through these two days… I am thinking why the hell did I do this?
My body has had enough abuse for the past few months. I think this one was worse than the others because with the others I could at least communicate, use the computer, read, and watch TV. With this one, I had to lie there all day long and move as little as possible.
When my older son tried to talk to me on Tuesday, his lips were all over the place or rather my vertigo made me feel like they were. I just couldn’t convince my mind it was all in my head.
Today, I still have dizziness, but not to the severity of the previous two days. I am sitting still on my bed (which I’ve been glued to since Monday) as I type this and check my emails (which hubby already filtered for spam… what a nice guy!). Many thanks to Paul for responding to emails, posting updates, and letting me use his laptop since I can’t get to my PC, which is in a different room.
I did have numbish taste or weird taste. One spot may have had a metallic taste. The weird taste is slowly going away. My ear is still numb.
Hook up is on August 8. Thanks for all your wishes and prayers. They mean a lot. Time to lie down again.
P.S. Photos coming soon whenever I can finally make way to my computer.


Skip to comment form

  1. hope you’re back to normal soon…

  2. Don’t push the healing, take the time. Thinking of you!

    • Jim Seals on July 29, 2003 at 9:06 am
    • Reply

    I just wanted to let you know that there are those of us out here that REALLY know what you are going through. I myself have had eight surgeries on my left ear (the last two just like the one you had) and I very much empathize with you.
    Please know that you are in my prayers and I pray you heal quickly and completely.

    • Tosha Ibarra on April 19, 2004 at 2:53 pm
    • Reply

    hi, my name is tosha ibarra and i live in guernsey wyoming. i am doing a research paper on bionic ear cholera implants. i was wondering if you could give me some topics to use in the paper. i have alot of information on this topic but i need some more info. thanks for your time. tosha

Leave a Reply to Suzanne Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.