FAQs about Certificate of Deafness for Texas Tuition Wavier

The following questions and answers are specific to the Certificate of Deafness for Tuition Waiver:
Do I need to submit a new certificate to my college/university each semester?
No, the enabling statute states your certificate is good for the entirety of your program. The only time a college/university may ask for another certificate is if you change your major or focus of study.
I only have a copy of my certificate and the college/university wants an original, what do I do?
If the college/university wants an originally signed document and you no longer have one, you can request one from DHHS. However, the date of the certificate will be the date you originally were deemed eligible for the program. You will need to let DHHS know your current address when you request the duplicate.
Does the certificate cover expenses other than tuition?
The tuition waiver only covers tuition and tuition-based fees. If the amount of the fee is determined by the amount of your tuition (or how many hours/credits you are taking), then that fee should be covered by the waiver. The waiver never covers books, supplies or the cost of any needed accommodation.
Do I need to re-apply for a certificate after a certain timeframe?
No, your certificate does not expire.
Is there a limit to the educational level I can achieve using my Certificate?
There is no limit. Individuals who qualify can enroll for studies up to and including the post-graduate level, as long as enrollment is at a state-supported college or university.
Can my old audiogram be used for my Certificate of Deafness for Tuition Waiver application?
As long as the audiogram reflects your current hearing status there is no time limit on when the test was done.
If I meet the criterion in Part II, do I need to complete Part III and/or Part IV?
No. Parts III and IV are alternate criteria to establish eligibility when the regular criterion is not met.
Other questions about this program should be directed to dhhs@dars.state.tx.us or CollegeForTexans.com
Certification of Deafness for Tuition Waiver
Provides a certificate that verifies hearing loss for applicants for tuition waiver at state supported post-secondary schools in Texas. The basic criteria for applicants is either an unaided average hearing loss of 55 decibels (dB) or greater (using 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz) or an aided average hearing loss of 30 dB or greater using the same frequencies. Alternate options for eligibility are listed on the tuition waiver application for individuals who are “functionally deaf and the primary mode of communication in the classroom is through visual modes.”
You can find all these information at website – see links below.
http://www.dars.state.tx.us/dhhs/dhhsfaqs.shtml#codtw – the application, general information
http://www.dars.state.tx.us/dhhs/trnganded.shtml#Certification – regular criteria for eligibility
Other questions about the CODTW – send email to dhhs@dars.state.tx.us – Thanks
Doug H. Dittfurth
Outreach Development Specialist
Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services of the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services/Division for Rehabilitation Services
PO Box 12904 – Austin, TX 78711
4900 N Lamar Blvd, 2-172 – Austin, TX 78751
Office/Voice: 512/407-3273 Office/TTY: 512/407-3274
Office/Video Phone: Office/ Fax: 512/407-3299

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.